250g skimmed milk
60g dark chocolate
3 small leaves of gelatine (softened in cold water)
Melt the chocolate and the milk in a sauce pan, then whisk in the softened gelatine.
2. Bring to the boil for 1 minute then remove from the heat.
3. Let cool slightly, then pour into a container lined with cling film before leaving to set.
White Chocolate Ganache
310g white chocolate – melted to 60ºC
350ml whipping cream
(scrape out the seeds to use)
- 2 x chocolate cases (moulded)
- mixing bowl
- food thermometer
1. Whip the cream to a soft peak. fold in vanilla seeds.
2. Add the melted chocolate and fold well together.
3. Pour into chocolate cups or moulded spheres and leave to set.
CHOCOLATE CONTAINS TO BASIC FAT CRYSTALS BELOW ARE THE TEMPERATURES TO MELT THE CHOCOLATE TOO.
MELT THE CHOCOALTE TO 45C TO 50C TO MELT ALL THE CRYSTALS.
NEXT BRING THE CHOCOLATE DOWN IN TEMPERATURE TO 26C / 27C
FINALLY BRING THE CHOCOLATE UPTO 30C / 31C
THE CHOCOLATE IS NOW SUITABLE TO MOULD AND SHOULD SET WITH A NICE SHINE AND NO SEPERATED VISUAL FATS.
Chocolate and Cherry Tart
400g sweet short crust pastry
175g stoned cherries
10 fresh mint leaves – thinly sliced
270ml double cream
160g good quality dark chocolate
80g unsalted butter – cut into pieces
1. Preheat the fan oven to 180ºC. Butter a 25cm tart ring and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry with a dry pastry brush, sweep off the excess flour.
2. Place the pastry into the prepared tart ring, pressing it into the edges. Prick the bottom of tart with a fork. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Line the pastry case with baking paper, leaving at least 1 inch overhang. Fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove baking beans and baking paper and continue baking for 5 minutes. Remove the tart from the ring and place on a cooling wire.
4. Mix together in a bowl the halved cherries and mint leaves. Scatter them over the bottom of the cooled tart case and put to one side.
5. Boil the cream over a medium heat and add chocolate and honey, whisk until smooth and creamy. Beat in butter, a piece at a time. Pour the chocolate mixture into tart shell over cherries and mint and cool. Place in a refrigerator for 3 hours before serving.
6. To serve, cut the tart using a very sharp knife.
25g caster sugar
300ml whipping cream
125g Mango Purée
75g 70% cocoa solid chocolate - chopped
- mixing bowl
- serving bowls
1. Place the sugar, whipping cream, mango purée and mango chutney in a pan and bring it to the boil.
2. Place the chopped chocolate in the mixing bowl. Pour the boiling mango mixture on to the chopped chocolate and stir well.
3. Serve as a dessert on its own or with Passionfruit Sabayon.
Risotto- Using Barley
This recipe serves 2
2 shallots – peeled and diced
50g Pearl Barley (washed)
300ml vegetable stock
50g Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- medium-sized pan
- chopping board
- wooden spoon
- fish slice
1. Heat the saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add half the butter and prepared shallots. Cook until softened. Add the barley then slowly add the stock, allowing the rice to absorb it between each addition.
3. Continue adding the stock until the barley is cooked but still has a firm texture with ‘bite’.
4. Finish the risotto by adding the grated cheese, remaining butter
Beetroot Pakora (or substitute for parsnips etc)
2 1/2 rounded tablespoons gram flour
1 green chilli - trimmed and finely chopped
1 medium-sized potato – peeled and grated
1 medium sized beetroot– peeled and grated
1/2 onion – peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
Fresh coriander – finely chopped
Oil for frying
Mix the gram flour with water into a thick paste. Add all ingredients into the paste and mix thoroughly.
Heat some oil in a Karahi. When hot, leave on a medium heat. Using a dessertspoon, add spoonfuls of the mixture to the hot oil – ensure you leave enough space between each to avoid them sticking together.
Keep the oil on a medium heat turning the pakoras to ensure they cook on both sides. Once golden-brown, lift the beetroot pakoras out.
Recipe Chef Benson-Smith